Position announcement: Database Coordinator
Friends of the Mississippi River (FMR) is a leading and growing nonprofit organization working to protect, restore and enhance the Mississippi River and its watershed in the Twin Cities region.
Our goals are to: improve water quality, conserve important lands, inspire widespread commitment to this natural wonder flowing through our community, and protect our river's unique scenic, natural, cultural and recreational qualities.
We are celebrating our 25th anniversary and employ a staff of 19 employees who enjoy a new office space overlooking the river in downtown St. Paul.
We believe the Mississippi River belongs to all of us and its gifts should flow equally to everyone in our community. We strive to be culturally competent, welcoming and inclusive of all people. We are working toward greater social and environmental justice, using our resources and influence to redress structural inequality in our own organization and where it intersects with the health and vitality of the Mississippi River.
We encourage interested applicants from all backgrounds to apply.
The Database Coordinator reports to the Communications Director and will manage FMR's FileMaker Pro database and integrated applications. The Database Coordinator will work collaboratively across all program areas to employ the strategic use of data in support of our organization’s communication, public engagement and fundraising activities.
The position is part-time, 30 hours/week, with benefits. And it's right for a smart, flexible, self-motivated professional who wants to use their ideas and energy to improve the health of the Mississippi River. The ideal candidate will have strong analytical abilities and a demonstrated attention to detail.
• Documents and maintains consistent procedures for data input and updates and develops strategies to monitor and maintain complete and accurate records
• Maintains and develops user interfaces such as custom fields, workflows, validation rules, and page layouts
• Manages and maintains integrations between the central database and online advocacy, email, and fundraising tools
• Optimizes functionality by staying up-to-date on system improvements and researching apps to identify possible areas of innovation
• Liaisons with developers and service providers to manage database functionality and improve workflows, as needed
• Develops and delivers targeted training to current and new users, maintains training documentation, and provides ongoing staff support
• Leads and conducts global changes as needed
• Builds queries, exports, and reports, and helps maintain complex mailing lists for print and email newsletters, fundraising appeals, and other targeted communications
• Produces membership and development reports in addition to custom reports and analytics as requested
• Performs routine data hygiene tasks, including updating contact records and managing duplicate accounts • Performs some data entry and large-scale imports and oversees data entry by others
• Other related responsibilities as assigned
• Experience using data strategically in a fundraising, political, educational or other setting
• Excellent computer skills for integrating data in word-processing, spreadsheet and presentation software
• Strong verbal, written and interpersonal communication skills
• Self-starter, problem solver, and able to work collaboratively and across departments
• Strong organizational skills including the ability to plan work, meet deadlines and balance multiple projects and objectives
• Commitment to and passion for the mission of Friends of the Mississippi River
• Four years' or more experience in data and database management
• Experience and proficiency in FileMaker Pro, Salsa Labs/Engage, Eventbrite and the VAN
• Change management experience
• Social media contact management
Salary & benefits
This position is 30 hours per week with a salary range of $31,500 to $35,250. Benefits include health and dental insurance, retirement match, parking/transit allowance and generous paid vacation, sick and holiday leave.
Please consolidate your application into one PDF document that includes: a cover letter summarizing your interest in and qualifications for the position; a 1-2 page résumé; and the names, titles and phone numbers of three professional references (or two professional and one personal reference). Please include your last name in the file name and email it as an attachment with “Database Coordinator” as the subject line to email@example.com.
Applications are due Monday, July 30, 9 a.m.
(Please note: FMR is also hiring a Communications Associate. That position is also 30 hours per week but with applications due Monday, July 9, 9 a.m.)