Position announcement: Administrative Assistant
Part-time, 25 hours/week, with benefits
FMR is a leading and growing nonprofit organization working to protect, restore and enhance the Mississippi River and its watershed in the Twin Cities region. FMR's goals are to improve water quality; conserve important lands; inspire widespread commitment to this natural wonder flowing through our community; and protect the river's unique scenic, natural, cultural and recreational qualities. The organization employs a professional staff of 22 employees who enjoy a beautiful office space overlooking the river in downtown St. Paul. The workplace culture at FMR is collaborative, fun and staff share a common love of the river and dedication to the mission of the organization.
FMR believes the Mississippi River belongs to all of us and its gifts should flow equally to everyone in our community. We strive to be culturally competent, welcoming and inclusive of all people and are committed to using our resources and influence to redress structural inequality where it intersects with the health and vitality of the Mississippi River. We encourage interested applicants from all backgrounds to apply.
The Administrative Assistant will have responsibility for maintaining an efficient and user-friendly office environment for FMR’s staff, board, volunteers and visitors and will provide project assistance and administrative support as needed.
The position is right for an organized and detail-oriented person with a genuine commitment to protecting the environmental and cultural resources of the Mississippi River. In addition to managing day-to-day administrative tasks, the Administrative Assistant will also be responsible for board of directors administration, some reception, and will assist with membership data entry.
The Administrative Assistant will be responsible for some supervision of volunteers. The ideal candidate will have one to three years of relevant experience, well-developed clerical and administrative skills, and excellent interpersonal communications skills.
- Coordinate with building management regarding maintenance issues
- Keep office space functional, organized and neat
- Manage vendor contracts for maintenance and upkeep of office equipment
- Maintain supplies and materials and reorder as needed
- General record keeping and maintenance of organizational files
- Respond to routine information requests and inquiries
- Coordinate and supervise office volunteers
- Coordinate preparation and mailing of the board packet and maintain board contact and attendance records, board resolutions and other documents
- Assist with meeting preparation, including scheduling and logistics
- Take minutes at board meetings
- Answer incoming phone calls and greet office visitors
- Process membership mailings and gift acknowledgment, including data entry
- Assist with some events as needed
- One to three years of related experience
- Excellent organizational skills including the ability to plan work, meet deadlines and balance multiple projects and objectives
- Working knowledge of Microsoft Office or other word processing and spreadsheet applications; and familiarity with FileMaker Pro or other database applications
- Well-developed clerical and administrative skills
- Willingness to work irregular hours including some evenings and weekends
- Excellent interpersonal and written communication skills
- Ability to manage moderately strenuous physical tasks such as lifting and loading supplies and equipment
- Interest in and commitment to protecting the health of the Mississippi River
Salary & Benefits
The salary range for this position is $17-$18.50/hour, commensurate with experience. Benefits include health and dental insurance, retirement match, parking/transit allowance and generous paid vacation, sick and holiday leave.
Please consolidate your application into one PDF document that includes: a cover letter summarizing your interest in and qualifications for the position; a 1-2 page résumé; and the names, titles and phone numbers of three professional references (or two professional and one personal reference). Please include your last name in the file name and email it as an attachment with “Administrative Assistant” as the subject line to email@example.com.
The position will remain open until filled. Applicants are encouraged to apply by August 20, 2019.
This position description is available for download here.