Help the River From Home
25 ways you can help the river
See all 25 ways or learn more by topic:
• 5 ways you can restore and protect habitat
• 5 ways you can reduce lesser-known water pollutants
• 5 ways you can educate yourself and your community about the river
• 5 ways you can make your yard river-friendly
• 5 ways you can be a part of Friends of the Mississippi River
Landscape for the river
There are tons of online and other resources to help turn your yard into a force for clean water. We've sifted through many, here are our favorites.
Sign up to be a River Guardian and we'll send you an email when the river needs you the most. Most actions (roughly 10 a year) can be completed online. But we'll also be in touch about two annual educational happy hours and let you know when Water Action Day is open for registration.
Become a member
When you become an FMR member, you add strength to our local role as the community voice for the river. You also get up-to-date info and email notice when registration opens for our most popular events. We have suggested levels, but a donation of any amount makes you an FMR member.
Join us outside
FMR offers dozens of outings to help restore habitat, educate our community and protect our river throughout our Twin Cities metro area. Everyone is welcome, no experience is required, and all supplies are provided.