St. Paul storm drain stenciling outing kits now available
Stenciling storm drains is a fun way to get outside, educate our communities and help the Mississippi River. (Photo by Rich Wahls)
Note: We don't stencil storm drains during the winter months, but you can sign up here to be notified in the spring when we're taking reservations for group outings and stenciling kit checkouts again.
Most St. Paul storm drains lead directly to the river, bringing trash, oil, road salt, leaves and cigarette butts into our river after it rains.
FMR works with groups of all sizes to stencil storm drains with the message "Keep em' clean... Drains to River" and distribute educational flyers to local homes to help spread the word and keep runoff pollutants out of our river.
Groups and individuals can check out a stenciling kit and work with us to plan their own outing mid-April through mid-October. (Larger groups can check out our regular stenciling program.)
Check out your kit and get stenciling
Step 1: Sign our online pledge and waiver and provide your contact info.
Step 2: FMR's stenciling crew will contact you within a week to confirm and coordinate.
Step 3: Pick up your stenciling kit on the agreed-upon date at FMR's downtown St. Paul office.
Step 4: Follow the directions and maps in the bin. Groups can stencil any area within the City of St. Paul, so we can usually find a convenient location for most stencilers.
Step 5: Return the kit and data to FMR offices by our agreed-upon deadline.
A small-group storm drain stenciling service outing:
• Lasts as long as you would like it to. Bins can be checked out for up to one week.
• Can accommodate anywhere from one to 20 or more people. (Larger groups can look into our regular stenciling program.)
• Is entirely free with all supplies provided. (See what's inside in the video below.)
• Must take place within St. Paul city limits. Volunteers living, attending school or working in St. Paul can usually mark drains near their homes, school or office. Someone from the FMR Outreach Team will work with you and your group to select your location.
• Can typically be coordinated within two weeks. However, bins are limited so occasionally we need to wait for another group to return theirs and plan a bit further out.
What's inside? Watch the video
Need a sneak peek at the kit before signing one out? Check out the video below created by volunteer Will Stock featuring last year's stenciling coordinator, Daurius Mikroberts.